Welcome to NHS Shetland. We hope that you will enjoy and gain a great deal from your clinical placement with us. Shetland has a lot to offer, both professionally and socially. We would like to help you make the most of all the opportunities available.
Please find below general information; about Shetland, travelling to and within Shetland, your accommodation, local facilities in Lerwick, useful maps plus the contact details of your profession specific Educator and the other Practice Education Staff.
We welcome feedback on the information you find here and would like your help in improving the information provided.
There is access to WIFI at Montfield and the Gilbert Bain Hospital plus a Library available at the Staff Development Dept, Montfield Hospital.
You will complete a form with your Practice Educator to enable you to access the NHS Shetland Secure IT Network.
You will get more detailed induction information related to your specific placement from your educator upon arrival.
If you have any comments or suggestions about this web page please contact Amanda Harrison
- Sign up for Facebook Alerts for Shetland Orca Sightings: https://www.facebook.com/groups/shetlandorcasightings/
- Sign up for Aurora alerts to see the Northern Lights at: https://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/alerts/
- Look out for Otters
- Go see the Puffins: http://www.shetland.org/things/explore-nature/bird-watching
- Go to Up Helly Aa or one of the other fire festivals held in Shetland: http://www.shetland.org/things/events/culture-heritage/up-helly-aa/
- Visit local venues for traditional Shetland Music: http://www.shetland.org/discover/music
- Please do bring warm waterproof clothing (even in the summer) and appropriate footwear for a remote and rural placement.
General information about Shetland
- Find out more about the Shetland dialect: http://www.shetlanddialect.org.uk/
A-Z of Shetland
Aimed at those coming to live and work in Shetland and with a sensible dose of humour